Thursday, March 02, 2006

Siddharth - Director turned Actor

We guys, roomies went to Infosys on Last Friday to watch RDB in their ampitheatre.
It was cool, nice experience to see a big guy f2f. yeah siddharth, one of my latest favorite heroes after watching 'Chandraloo chakalooo' (forgive me if the name is wrong)


Beginning his speech with a powerful (modified) dialogue from his latest movie “Rang De Basanti” (I’m Karan Singhania… me and my friends made this film (in Hindi)) Siddarth talked about the movie and dedicated it to the fighter pilots of the Indian Air Force, killed due to failure of aircraft (Mostly MiGs) during regular sorties.

Sending out a strong message to the audience Siddarth was the cynosure of all ears (eyes too, of course J ), as he delivered the rationale behind the film. An alumni from SP Jain management institute and winner of the CNBC manager of the year award while pursuing his studies there, Siddarth had the audience hanging on to his every word as he spoke about the making of Rang de Basanti.

A few excerpts:


* How did Rang de Basanti (RDB) happen?


Siddarth: Films like RDB don’t get made, they just HAPPEN.Initially I refused Karan Singhania’s part, but on reading the script was okay with it.Finally though, I was really glad I had taken it up.

* How did it feel to work with the crew of RDB?

Siddarth: RDB unit was a very close knit one. With Aamir Khan, and Rakesh Mehra, around, one may feel diminutive or timid, but we all pitched in with our suggestions and ideas to improve it.


* Are you going back to directing after this or will you continue as an actor?

Siddarth: Actually the directing bug was already in me while at S P Jain.

Mr. Mani Ratnam signed me as his assistant for the Tamil movie Kannathil Muthamittal and some time later Director Shankar spotted the actor in me and signed me up for Boys. Then came Mani Ratnam’s Ayutha Ezhuthu (Yuva in Hindi), where once again he played an actor in the Tamil version. Post Ayutha Ezhuthu was Nuvvostanante Nenodanta in Telugu (my smash Hit). I’m still focused on direction, though it may take a while to happen.
Siddarth said that the passion for directing films still existed in him and recently he had penned Chukallo Chandrudu in Telugu. He said he aspires to make it big as a director some day.

* How was it to work with Mani Ratnam?

Siddarth: “Go get what you want”, was the lesson I learnt from him. There’s absolutely no spoon feeding involved. As Mani Ratnam said “Do everything with your heart.” Stand for what you believe in and make your own way towards it.

* If not an actor, would you be a software engineer?

Siddarth (a little amused, recalls an incident in the near past): Recently I had been to IIT (the movie was screened there too!) and while leaving I told my Mom “Finally after 27 years I get to step into the IITs”! Marketing and management are a yes but the technical side is a sure NO.

* What kind of a person are you?

Siddarth (Praising Rakeysh Mehra): I’m by nature a very arrogant type.

And my one motto is to remain hell bent or directing or go down trying. I don’t want to be an apathetic kind of person. I’m seeing the surrounding area around me and it’s… really great… I can see the amount of effort put into all this (drawing huge cheers here from the crowd!!!) This is what I identify with-great effort and hard work.

* With Tamil fans rooting for you how long will you continue to concentrate on Telugu movies alone?

Siddarth: After ‘Boys’ I didn’t have a good time in Tamil cinema and Telugu films happened to come along. So I stuck to it. And mind you Telugu film industry is too huge and equally good too.

* What influences you most?

Siddarth: Bhagat Singh was a great influence in my life. I admired their courage and their commitment at such a young age. And as always, Rakesh Mehra is a person who has impacted me a great deal.

* Did you ever have any embarrassing moments with female fans?

Siddarth (totally surprised): honestly the answer is “I don’t know!!!” This is really new to me. And coming to fan following, thanks to all of you out there- for keeping my career afloat!!!

* What would be your message for us (Infy)?
Siddarth: I always believe in intellectual majority. And making your options known is always in your hands. Be hungry for cinema and good cinema at that!

At the end of his speech, i realised the power of MBA! simply superb! huh ha!
He was also talking about Telegu film industry, very soon I will write a post on film industries in India, the other booming industry ppl are looking at after IT :)

10 Comments:

At 11:38 PM, Blogger KP said...

quote:
At the end of his speech, i realised the power of MBA! simply superb! huh ha!

What part of his speech there made u realise so..?

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger iamchandru said...

The entire speech by him, his accent, the way he responded for the questions. not anything specific, as a whole, its vivid!

 
At 2:10 AM, Blogger Manoj said...

do u know where he did his MBA grduation ?

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger Hariks said...

It was nice hearing him. But I did not expect that much crowd that day inside the campus just to see him. Even infoscions needed to sit in the floor to watch the movie.

Infoscions could have behaved properly that day. They took phots of him with their Cellphones eventhough it was informed that not to take photos.

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger KP said...

Manoj!
He did his MBA from SP Jain.

Chandru!
Dont you think this guy is quite strange.Wanted to join IIT (a techy)
But no to techy and yes to "Marketing and Management".
Did MBA in one of the premium institution but which is of no use for him.
Wanted to become a director but turned a actor .
I guess he is not much focussed in his life.

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger iamchandru said...

Prathiba!
One who focusses their life will have very narrow/less opportunities. One who dont have focus and open to anything will get more opportunities like Siddharth.
So dont benchmark anything in your life, take as it comes!
Forgive me if i m wrong ;)

 
At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

he is the best and hope he will always be successful in life i wish him all the best siddu i am your biggest fan bye take care

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Why NO to tamil movies, which gave him a break in his film carrier with marvelous directors like Mani Sir & Shankar. There are so many fans like me still waiting for his performances in Tamil.

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

siddu u shd come to tamil industry and do wonders.All the best for you and awaiting to see u in tamil movies soooooon..............

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger manisha sharma said...

hey , nice blog , like it ,
won't be nice if i u can clickover to my blog page too ,
& post some suggestion

 

Post a Comment

<< Home